Through an NRF Knowledge Interchange and Collaboration grant, I was able to visit some collaborators in Sierra Leone. I got the opportunity to do 3 things.
Visiting Njala University
I had a visit to Njala University to give 2 days of workshops. The content consisted of:
- Introduction to Data Science
- Introduction to Machine Learning
- Natural Language Processing
- Ethical considerations of Data Science
- Interactive Ideation of Data Science and Machine Learning Approaches
Njala University has many campuses across Sierra Leone. I got the opportunity to visit the main campus in Njala and take in the beauty of the countryside. Adjusting to the humidity took a bit of time but I did enjoy interacting with faculty, students and policy-makers from the area. I am thankful for all the faculty who hosted me as well as the management (deans, registrar and Vice-Chancellor of Njala University). From Njala I then headed to Freetown.